Greetings, Reader! Today I’d like to inspire you. The more I see of the world, the more it strikes me that there are so many people living without hope. None of us are immune to pain or disappointment. At times I am overwhelmed by the amount of suffering compared with my ability to ease that suffering. There are so many types of suffering, and we are so constantly bombarded with requests for help in the form of money or volunteer hours, that we quickly begin to feel guilty. So what is a person to do? How are you to do real good, rather than just wishing that you could? As I always say, there is a better way.
Here’s what you need:
- A compassionate heart
- A desire to make a difference
- Generosity with whatever resources you have
Here’s what you do:
- Think through the many types of pain and suffering around you. Focus in on the one or two that really move your heart.
- Look for established organizations in your community that serve in the areas that you care most about.
- Make a list of your talents and resources. If you are not very creative, offer up those talents and resources to the organizations you have found, and let them place you where they can best use you. If you are creative, however, you may spend some time thinking of your own ways to meet the needs in your area.
- If there is no group or organization in your area meeting the needs of the people you would like to help, use your connections and social networks to find others in your community who share the same passions as you, and pool your talents and resources.
- Get your family involved. Serving others together is an excellent way to strengthen your relationship with your spouse or significant other. Children are very enthusiastic about helping others, and there is no better time to develop a generous and compassionate spirit than childhood.
I hope that you will be inspired to find your own niche where you can do the good that you were made for. In the future, be looking for ideas on more specific ways to Spread a Little Hope.
Peace Be With You